Wednesday, September 30, 2009

interesting thought. n a msg to someone..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most guys seem to start having that bodily alarm to procreate when they're about to reach 30. I hear guys here (Aus) are like that. Well, at least they wouldn't consider it when they're younger. And guys back in SG too? At least those who are currently in the 28-32 age range.. I think?

Gege recently tweeted that her ex-classmate got married. That'd make him.. 22? 23 at most? Very young indeed. And i have a few 23-24 yo friends who are getting married/ are married, and some with kids! This is not the case for my older friends at 28-32.. I believe this is the cohort effect we learnt last semester in IDH (sth like psych)... every batch/ generational range/ cohort basically, will experience similar things, e.g. influence in tastes due to events that occur, stuff they were exposed to..etc. Obviously, this "batch" is not fixed in stone, where you fall into depends on your company and environment as well.

so anyways, back to my point. I think, from my own tiny sample grp and questionable observation skills, the late 70s - early80s babies seem to be the ones marrying late and hence having kids much later as well. the early-mid80s are bucking that trend and starting families early. Not sure about us late 80s yet, i think half-half? So when I thought from the kids' point of view, I realise that at every year, the parents of these kids would all be either really young or really old, with just a handful who lie between. If you asked around right now, most parents of your friends would probably be about the same age as your own, especially if you're the same ranking with ur siblings (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd..etc child.). So having this parental age gap, i'm pretty sure that'd also change how each kid experiences his/her childhood... also thus moulding different character and traits. (older parents may stay at home more, kids are less exposed to outdoors or less active or less social?) My dad said himself that having kids young is good cos you'll still have the energy to play with them, run around, bring them out and all that.  He was admittedly not THAT young when he had me, but good thing he was still pretty active..

Just thought it was interesting how the younger people (23-25yo) I know back home have seem to just surpassed their seniors (28-30) in terms of a stage in life, perhaps a lesson in maturity too? The young ones are the one who are already married, and are parents. They've got more responsibility now, but that means they'd not have to slog till such an old age. They've also been elevated to become an "older" batch, as parents of the 2000's kids. Whereas the older ones would be parents of 2010's kids. lol. Kinda weird to me.
How do the older ones feel looking at the young ones with families of their own? o.O shrugs!

All that blabbering done though, I don't know where I stand. My initial plans was to start a family young, having a small age gap with kids seem to mean being closer to them? Ehh... but I don't think that's gonna happen now lol ^^* What with me being here in Aus... when I eventually get back, I think eventually I'd be 30 within the blink of an eye and still single and no kids and shit. by then i'd be too "bahh" to be bothered to even "search" anymore. haha. life's choices and their effects. fun.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Boo,

I read the latest msg u left me, happy you're doing well and picking up from the start. I think that'd do you lots of good. Although it's almost time to make those big decisions, just wondering if you've made yours? No longer in a position to really probe, and I don't really want to.. sadly.

Anyway, I read the lyrics you helped co-wrote recently. They're nice, touching.. and true? Very nice display of linguistic prowess as well. I just gotta smile and think about the fond memories each time I hear from you, yet know truly that I don't feel the same anymore. I realise I just changed almost overnight. Yet another song I thought would suit what I feel..

No Surprise - Daughtry
I've practiced this for hours, gone round and round

And now I think that I've got it all down
And as I say it louder I love how it sounds
Cause I'm not taking the easy way out
Not wrapping this in ribbons
Shouldn't have to give a reason why

It's no surprise I won't be here tomorrow
I can't believe that I stayed till today
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow
But I know in time we'll find this was no surprise

It came out like a river once I let it out
When I thought that I wouldn't know how
Held onto it forever just pushing it down
Felt so good to let go of it now
Not wrapping this in ribbons
Shouldn't have to give a reason why

It's no surprise I won't be here tomorrow
I can't believe that I stayed till today
There's nothing here in this heart left to borrow
There's nothing here in this soul left to say
Don't be surprised when we hate this tomorrow
God know we tried to find an easier way
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow
But I know in time we'll find this was no surprise

Our favorite place we used to go
The warm embrace that no one knows
The loving look that's left your eyes
That's why this comes as no, as no surprise

If I could see the future and how this plays out
I bet it's better than where we are now
But after going through this, it's easier to see the reason why

It's no surprise I won't be here tomorrow
I can't believe that I stayed till today
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow
But I know in time we'll find this was no surprise

The kiss goodnight, it comes with me
Both wrong and right, our memories
The whispering before we sleep, just one more thing that you can't keep
Our favorite place we used to go
The warm embrace that no one knows
The loving look that's left your eyes
But I know in time we'll find this was no surprise

--------------------------
I always find the songs I choose to describe us now are quite.. cold. And i think this song is best, cos indeed it was surprising then. Maybe even a little for myself. But u know.. it wouldn't have lasted after all that happened.. But I have to admit, these songs never give you enough credit. Despite all the hurt at the end, we did have wonderful times. Perhaps you're also the only one who has ever loved me... You respected me too.. and cherished me.. at some point at least. I gotta thank you. I guess at least with you, I can say I've never felt like I'm being played...
Well, I guess if i'm really being played now, it's really my just desert? haha.
 
Wishing only the best for you...
daph

No comments:

Post a Comment